Burlington Office


What is the Process for Juvenile Charges in New Jersey?

Our law firm has successfully handled thousands of criminal, DWI, and municipal court charges throughout Burlington County and New Jersey.

Schedule free Consultation

Juvenile Charges in Burlington County NJ

For those parents who have never dealt with criminal charges for themselves or their children, it can be difficult and confusing to try to “learn on the fly.” Having an experienced Juvenile Defense Attorney can be a great asset in navigating the juvenile criminal system and avoiding prosecution. If your child has been charged with a criminal offense in New Jersey, you must first understand that the process will be different from if they were an adult. Juvenile cases are placed on a different track than adult charges. This process may involve the Superior Court Family Division or it may be resolved through a Juvenile Conference Committee. Understanding what each of these concepts entail and what outcomes are available can make all the difference for your child. Call 609-850-8284 today to speak with a Juvenile Defense Lawyer at Proetta, Oliver & Fay. We will happily discuss the facts of your case and help you understand what to expect.  

NJ Juvenile Delinquency

If the court determines that a criminal act was committed by a juvenile, then the juvenile will be found delinquent. Delinquency is defined as “an act by a juvenile under the age of 18 that if committed by an adult would constitute a crime, a disorderly persons offense, a petty disorderly persons offense, or a violation of any other penal statute, ordinance or regulation.”

What Happens if My Child Was Charged with a Crime as a Juvenile in NJ?

If your child has been arrested or charged with a criminal offense while a juvenile, then the court will review the charges and the allegations to determine how to proceeds. Specifically the court will look at:

♦    The nature and seriousness of the offense,
♦    Age of your child,
♦    Prior record, if any, and
Willingness of parties to cooperate.

Depending on what the court finds, the case will be processed into one of the following forums:

♦    Juvenile Conference Committee (JCC) or Intake Services Conference (ISC)
♦    Juvenile referee/Informal court
♦    Judge/Formal court

What is a Juvenile Conference Committee?

A delinquency complaint can be referred to a Juvenile Conference Committee or Intake Services Conference. A Juvenile Conference Committee is a trained citizen volunteer panel appointed by the court. An Intake Services Conference is conducted by a Judiciary staff person. The parent, the juvenile and the person who filed the complaint are invited to discuss the offense and other related factors. The committee or intake officer does not have the authority to determine delinquency. This is an informal discussion of the events and all parties must be in agreement. Attorneys are not required. There is no chance of your child being sent away to a juvenile facility. The disposition recommendations will be placed on an agreement/court order signed by your child, you as his or her parent/legal guardian, and the person who filed the complaint. This agreement will then be forwarded to the judge for final approval.

What Kind Of Penalties Can Happen if My Child is Charged with a Crime?

This depends entirely upon how the case is processed. If the matter is put before a judge in a formal proceeding, then your child can face upwards of four years in a Juvenile Detention Center, depending on the nature of the charges. Alternatively, if your child’s case is downgraded and resolved through a Juvenile Conference Committee (JCC) or Intake Services Conference (ISC), then the penalties typically include:

◊    Curfew
◊    Counseling
◊    Evaluation
◊    Community Service
◊    Restitution, or
◊    Any condition that will aid in your child’s rehabilitation.

However, if your child fails to complete the conditions or new complaints are signed, then the original complaint will go back to court to be heard by a judge.

Juvenile Lawyers in Evesham NJ

Our law firm has represented hundreds of juveniles facing delinquency proceedings in New Jersey. We have handled juvenile cases involving crimes like Shoplifting, Sexual Assault, Drug Possession, Terroristic Threats, Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose, Harassment, Criminal Mischief, Disorderly Conduct, Robbery and Cyber-harassment. Furthermore, we represent families facing these types of matters in towns like Evesham, Mt. Holly, Mt. Laurel, Pemberton, Bordentown, Burlington Township, Southampton, Moorestown, Cinnaminson, Westampton, Willingboro, Medford and Florence. For an immediate consultation with a Juvenile Lawyer in Burlington County, please contact our office at 609-850-8284. Our lawyers can be reached 24/7 and will discuss your case with you and your family.

Contact Us

Our phones are answered 24 hours a day. We are available weekdays during business hours. We also meet with clients on evenings and weekends by request. We have four office locations conveniently located in Jersey City, Edison, Middletown, Cranford, Burlington, and Hamilton. All major credit cards are accepted.

Burlington Office

525 Highway 73,
Suite 104, Marlton,
New Jersey 08053
Phone: 609-850-8284
By Appointment Only

Hamilton Office

100 Horizon Center
Boulevard, Hamilton,
New Jersey, 08691
By Appointment Only

Point Pleasant Office

3828 River Road,
Suite A, Point Pleasant,
New Jersey 08742
By Appointment Only

Middletown Office

180 Kings Highway,
Middletown Township,
New Jersey 07748
By Appointment Only